We have a dynamic lineup of speakers for the 47th Annual Conference of the
Western Literature Association in Lubbock, TX. We will be kicking the
conference off with a reading by Annie Proulx and a reception in honor of the
20th Birthday of ASLE.
If you have not already submitted an abstract we encourage you to do so by the
June 22nd, 2012, deadline.
Please follow this link for the full cfp:
FAQ’s for ConfTool can be found at the bottom of the conference page:
We look forward to seeing you in Lubbock!
Western Literature Association, President
Lubbock, Texas, is nicknamed “The Hub City” because it has historically been the crossroads of the vast, multicultural South Plains—home to Native peoples for 15,000 years, first dubbed the Llano Estacado (Staked Plains) by Coronado in 1540, and once referred to as the American Serengeti for its massive herds of buffalo, pronghorn, and deer. The WLA’s 47th annual conference will take place at the Overton Hotel in Lubbock across the street from Texas Tech University. We will honor the careers of Distinguished Achievement Award winners Richard Slotkin and filmmaker and producer Joss Whedon, and engage with featured writers Annie Proulx, Christina Garcia, Barry Lopez, Naomi Shihab Nye, and others.
- – Distinguished Achievement Awards to Richard Slotkin and Joss Whedon
- – Writers Series with Annie Proulx, Christina Garcia, Barry Lopez, Naomi Shihab Nye, and Stephen Graham Jones
- – Plenary session and book signing with Annette Kolodny featuring her new book, In Search of First Contact
- – Session with filmmaker David Sherman and a screening of his film Wasteland Utopias, presented in collaboration with Landmark Arts in the Texas Tech School of Arts
- – Special reception for conference attendees at the Landmark Gallery for the opening of JUST NOT YET: dodging the vacuum of meaning, curated in conjunction with the WLA conference, featuring the work of twenty visionary artists working in the US Southwest
- – 20th Birthday Party for the Association for the Study of Literature & Environment—founded at WLA 1992 in Reno
- – Friday evening banquet and dance with live music by the Gary P. Nunn Band from PBS’s Austin City Limits